Tuesday, May 19, 2009

JMG's Recap on BMXNY's Positively Sexy forum

During the course of our Positively Sexy dialogue, on May 8, among perspectives shared in response to the following bolded questions, included:

How, if at all has the face of HIV changed over the last decade?

“There is hope insofar as people taking ownership of the disease [is concerned.]”

“Stigma, denial and the absence of hope [have changed],”

“I’ve been on Adam 4 Adam for five years, and not once has anyone ever asked me my status.”

“The face has changed from white to black.”

“Since HIV is no longer a death sentence, he thinks it’s okay to go bareback. For me, this is like a mental health problem. [I asked,] ‘I don’t understand why you think this behavior contributes to community among Black men.’”

“I don’t have to have sex for sex’s sake anymore.”


Does the virus make one unlovable?
“When I’m thriving in life, I wear a condom. When I’m not; when I’m feeling demoralized, I don’t.”

“I’m diabetic. I used food, in the face of my low self image, the way other men used sex, and so I didn’t become HIV+.”

“When I’m not feeling so good about myself, the parks, [and] the [sex] parties serve as affirmation for me; some kind of acknowledgement.”

Is disclosure still an issue?
“…The silence in our lives and how it crushes…There are levels of denial and dishonesty…”

Can I be empowered, sexy, sexual and positive?
“If we’re not seeking to find health every moment, then we’re missing the point.”

“If I’m going to get naked with a man in more than one way, there has to be something [more] in it.”

“It took me a long time, including a lot of therapy and other [healing] processes, but I have finally arrived at a place where I love and respect me, and know that I am all kinds of sexy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment